2020 KTM 250 XC-W TPI
Call for Price
Race To New Heights: The new generation KTM 250 XC-W TPI is the ultimate combination of power and rideability. It has been completely reworked for 2020 and sets a clear benchmark for intuitive handling, unique style and top performance. Thanks to its groundbreaking TPI (transfer port injection) technology, this extreme machine continues to reach new heights, clearly demonstrating KTM's unrelenting commitment to 2-stroke development. Besides the renowned benefits of excellent fuel efficiency, clean exhaust emissions and the removed need for jetting, the new KTM 250 XC-W TPI features a new dynamic, lightweight frame. It was developed with feedback from factory riders and in hindsight, returns the favor by offering excellent rider feedback.
- KTM sets the benchmark in technology with its vast range of race-winning offroad competition 2-stroke models. Two years after the introduction of the world's first 2-stroke electronically controlled fuel injection offroad models, the success story continues with completely reworked, new generation offroad competition engines, all fitted with the revolutionary TPI system. This further demonstrates KTM's unrelenting commitment to 2-stroke advancement. The benefits are clear: besides huge improvements in fuel efficiency and exhaust emissions, the system also removes the need for pre-mixing fuel and re-jetting, meaning that with less effort, the engine always runs smoothly and crisply.
- Cylinder: The KTM 250 XC-W TPI cylinder has a bore of 72 mm and is fitted with a sophisticated power valve, which provides really smooth and controllable power characteristics. For the EFI application the cylinder features two lateral domes which hold the fuel injectors that supply fuel to the rear transfer ports. The downstream injection guarantees excellent atomization of the fuel with the upstreaming air. Thus, the loss of unburnt fuel is minimal for less emissions, a more efficient combustion and reduced fuel consumption. A little tube in the back of the cylinder is connected with an intake pressure sensor, which supplies pressure data to the control unit. As of the 2020 model, the cylinders feature an improved power valve unit with a sophisticated mechanism for the lateral support exhaust ports. The new exhaust port layout increases engine performance, while the upper contour of the exhaust port has been machined to ensure more accurate port timing. Last but not least the new models allow the use of a more widely available type of traditional spark plug.
- Crankcases and engine covers: The compact engine cases are manufactured using a high pressure die-cast production process which helps with weight reduction, while retaining strength and durability. The design allows for optimal shaft arrangements close to the center of gravity, resulting in ideal mass centralization and easier ride-ability. Plus, the engine covers feature a smart surface structure which reduces wear caused by the rider's boots, keeping them looking as fresh as the day you bought your XC-W.
- Transmission: The KTM 250 XC-W TPI is now fitted with a new, more robust 6-speed transmission made by PANKL RACING SYSTEMS. The gear ratios were carried over from the predecessor, but is now made of a stronger, forged raw material, ensuring the highest durability and reliability level. Another highlight of the 250 XC-W TPI transmission, is the no-dirt gear shifter. Similar to the footpeg design, it prevents the build-up of dirt and ensures the next gear is always available, no matter what the conditions.
- Always optimal: Maintaining the optimal engine temperature is crucial to ensuring consistent horsepower throughout the ride. The KTM 250 XC-W TPI features newly designed radiators which are mounted 12 mm lower than the predecessors. This lowers the center of gravity and matches the design of the new shrouds perfectly, in order to achieve perfect ergonomics. By using CFD technology (computational fluid dynamics) together with a clever coolant circuit routing, the innovative system ensures the optimum engine temperature for the highest performance, no matter what the conditions. Above all, a reworked delta distributor, integrated into the frame triangle, features a 4 mm larger center tube, increasing the cross section by 57%, making the coolant flow from the cylinder head to the radiators more efficient. The radiators also feature special protectors that don't only serve as protection from flying rocks and debris but also as a brace that disperses energy around the radiators in the event of an impact.
- Shaped for performance: When it comes to improved power delivery and performance, the new exhaust plays a key role and packs a punch that is hard to beat. The 250 cc and 300 cc models feature new HD exhaust pipes (heavy-duty) made by using an innovative 3D stamping process which produces a rippled surface finish. This makes the pipe much stronger, with better resistance against rocks, while also helping to reduce noise drastically. The silencer features a new shape and end cap with reworked internal designs individually developed for each model. The plastic silencer holder is now replaced with lightweight, welded mounting brackets. In addition, the exhaust's new shape provides slimmer ergonomics and more ground clearance, while a new perforated inner silencer tube works with lighter damping wool for more efficient and more durable noise reduction. This adds up to a weight reduction of approximately 200 grams.
- When it comes to 2-stroke weaponry, keeping weight down is key. It should come as no surprise then that the KTM 250 XC-W TPI is one of the lightest, slimmest and most agile offroad machines in its class.
- Optimal control: All XC-W models feature new high-tech, lightweight chromoly steel frames. This includes hydro-formed elements produced by state-of-the-art robot welding. They retain their race-proven geometries, but by re-designing certain areas, the stiffness has been optimized, resulting in better feedback for the rider, playful handling and improved stability. The laterally attached engine head stays (the connection between cylinder, head and frame) are now made of aluminum, reducing vibration and further contributing to precise cornering. The bikes also feature newly designed lateral frame guards with a structured surface, improving grip, while also serving as a heat protector against the muffler on the right side. On the KTM 250 XC-W TPI frame, the engine is lowered by 1° around the swing arm pivot improving front wheel traction significantly. The subframe is made of extra-light and stable aluminum profiles, weighing less than 2 lbs (900 gr) and is 40 mm longer than before, providing better rear fender stability.
- Swingarm: The KTM 250 XC-W TPI's one-piece aluminum swingarm is manufactured using a gravity die-cast production process, offering exceptional strength at the lowest possible weight. The single-component casting process offers low weight, perfect flex behavior and also allows for a large number of geometry solutions.
- Wheels: All XC-W models are fitted with the latest 48 mm diameter WP XPLOR upside-down forks, featuring a split fork design developed by WP and KTM. While each side is fitted with springs, they have separate damping functions. Compression damping is on the left and the rebound on the right. Both can easily be adjusted via the dials on top of both fork tubes with 30 clicks each. Although already distinguished for outstanding response and damping characteristics, the 2020 fork features a calibrated mid-valve piston for more constant damping. It also has new upper fork caps and clicker adjusters for easier adjustment with a new color and graphic design. The new settings keep the front end higher, providing increased reserves against bottoming out.
- Front suspension: The WP XPlor 48 upside-down fork is a split fork developed by WP in close collaboration with KTM. It is fitted with a spring on both sides, but features separated functions for each fork leg: compression damping is fitted on the left side, while rebound is on the right. So the fork can easily be adjusted for compression and rebound with the twist of a dial on top of the fork tubes (30 clicks each). In addition, a sealed hydro-stop guarantees better resistance to bottoming-out. Due to high-quality materials and a state-of-the-art production process, the WP XPlor 48 fork - with approx. 300mm of travel - has outstanding response and damping characteristics. An optional preload adjuster allows for a threefold spring preload setting without any tools. Easy as one, two, three.
- Rear suspension: The WP XPLOR shock absorber is the key element in the proven PDS rear suspension design (progressive damping system), where the shock is directly linked to the swingarm without an additional linkage system. This keeps weight lower and reduces the chances of hooking on rocks. Optimal dual-sport specific damping progression is achieved by using a second damping piston in combination with a closed cup towards the end of the stroke, and supported by a progressive shock spring. For 2020, improvements to the second piston, as well as a reworked shape and sealing of the cup, lead to improved resistance against bottoming without any sacrifice of comfort. New settings on the XPLOR shock with PDS technology provide better damping characteristics and match the new frame and reworked front-end set-up perfectly. It is fully adjustable, including high and low-speed compression, so you can set the shock up to suit any track, trail and rider preferences.
- Superior braking feel: These high-tech Brembo brakes are combined with lightweight Wave brake discs. You couldn't brake any harder or with better feel on an offroad motorcycle.
- Simple and effective: All models in the XC-W range are fitted with newly designed lightweight polyethylene tanks improving the ergonomics. The 1/4-turn bayonet filler cap makes for quick and easy closure. Manufactured using see-through plastic, you will always be able to see how much fuel remains at a glance. It is fitted with an integrated fuel pump system and a fuel level sensor. Additionally, the fuel line features a 90° connector to the tank for better protection against damage.
- Simple and effective: The new airbox on the KTM 250 XC-W TPI has been completely reworked to ensure better flow dynamics, and together with new intake snorkels, results in optimal power and throttle response. Despite the obvious performance enhancements, the new design also offers maximum protection against soiling of the air filter. The large twin-air air filter is mounted on a cleverly designed stiff cage that minimizes incorrect installation. As found on previous models, filter maintenance is quick and easy and does not require tools - a standard, original feature from KTM.
- Designed for complete harmony between rider and bike, KTM has exploited the knowledge from decades of race success to create perfect ergonomics on the KTM 250 XC-W TPI. Maximum rider comfort and movement in all conditions is guaranteed. Additionally, the bike features a new tail light design which fits perfectly to the new shape of the rear fender and the number plate carrier.
- Centralized control: All KTM XC-W models are equipped with the same high-strength aluminum tapered handlebar, made by NEKEN. The handlebar allows for four different positions. The handlebars come standard with an ODI vulcanized grip on the right side and a comfortable ODI lock-on grip, which does not require any wire or glue, on the left. Additionally, all models can be equipped with an optional handlebar map select switch, which allows to select between a standard and advanced power curve.
- Innovative engineering: Sophisticated ´No-Dirt´ footpegs prevent clogging up the pegs, even when digging in deep ruts. The pegs on the Enduro models are 6 mm higher than the ones used on SX models, which benefits ground clearance. But you can swap them at will.
- Supreme manoeuvrability: The 2020 XC-W range features a newly shaped seat that provides improved ergonomics and much better seat comfort thanks to higher foam padding. The seat is conveniently fixed to the bike using one long, lateral screw, making it safe and easy to handle.
- With input from KTM's factory riders, as well as KTM R&D and Kiska Design, the new bodywork of the KTM 250 XC-W TPI pushes the boundaries of progression even further. The result is a shape across the entire range, that achieves complete harmony between rider and bike. The main goal was to provide the optimal contact points that allow a rider maximum freedom of movement and improved handling. The front and rear fenders feature an intelligent I-beam design, guaranteeing maximum stability with the lowest possible weight. A new tail light design fits perfectly to the new shape of the rear fender and the number plate carrier. The new in-mold graphics confirm the high-performance intentions of this bike, as well as KTM's never-ending quest for race-winning progression.
- Aggressively styled: New graphics convey the READY TO RACE character of the 2019 KTM XC-W model line.
- KTM XC-W TPI models feature the most modern engine management system of any 2-stroke off-road motorcycle. By reading various sensor data inputs, such as intake and ambient air pressure, throttle valve position and water temperature, the control unit optimizes ignition timing and the amount of fuel to inject at all altitudes and conditions.
- Easy starting: All engines are fitted with the proven electric starter, which is a major benefit for any offroad activity. It is powered by a super lightweight 2 ah lithium-ion starter battery which provides safe, reliable starting. A reworked wiring harness and revised packaging has most of the electrical components concentrated into a common area below the seat, making them more accessible and reliable.
- Displacement: 249 cm³
- Design: 1-cylinder, 2-stroke engine
- Bore: 66.4 mm
- Stroke: 72 mm
- Starter: Electric starter
- Transmission: 6-speed
- Clutch: Wet, DDS multi-disc clutch, Brembo hydraulics
- EMS: Continental EMS
- Frame design: Central double-cradle-type 25CrMo4 steel
- Rear suspension: WP Xplor PDS shock absorber
- Front brake: Brembo twin-piston floating calliper, brake disc
- Rear brake: Brembo single-piston floating calliper, brake disc
- Front brake disc diameter: 260 mm
- Rear brake disc diameter: 220 mm
- Chain: X-Ring 5/8 x 1/4"
- Steering head angle: 63.5 °
- Engine Type
- 1-cylinder, 2-stroke
- 249 cm³
- Bore and Stroke
- 66.4 mm x 72 mm
- Fuel System
- Continental EMS
- Front Brakes
- Brembo twin-piston floating calliper, brake disc
- Rear Suspension
- WP Xplor PDS shock absorber
- Rear Brakes
- Brembo single-piston floating calliper, brake disc
- Final Drive
- Chain: X-Ring 5/8 x 1/4 in.